PhD, Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park
Aug 2010 – Dec 2016.
Advisor: Dr. Jon Froehlich
Research Interests: Human-Computer Interaction, Crowdsourcing
Bachelor of Engineering, Information Engineering, Osaka University
Apr 2006 – Mar 2010
Advisor: Dr. Fumio Kishino
Bachelor Thesis: Investigation on extension detection of textile materials for push-pull-based interface
Research and Work Experience
Assistant Professor at Singapore Management University
School of Information Systems
Nov 2017 - Present
Postdoctoral Researcher at Carnegie Mellon University
Sep 2016 - Sep 2017
Mentors: Dr. Jeffrey Bigham and Dr. Aaron Steinfeld
Graduate Research Assistant at the University of Maryland, College Park
Jan 2012 - Dec 2016
Research Advisor: Dr. Jon Froehlich
Research Intern at Microsoft Research Redmond
June 2014 - Aug 2014
Research Supervisor: Dr. Shamsi Iqbal
Web Developer at The Center for Public Integrity
June 2011 - Aug 2011
Undergraduate Thesis Research
Jan 2009 - Mar 2010
Research Advisor: Dr. Fumio Kishino
Awards and Fellowship
- CHI 2019 Best Paper Award, May, 2019
- CHI 2018 Honourable Mention Award, Apr, 2018
- W4A 2017 Best Paper Nomination, Apr, 2017
- The ACM Computing Reviews’ “Best of Computing 2014”, 2015
- Google US/Canada PhD Fellowship 2014, June 2014 (Declined)
- IBM PhD Fellowship 2014-2015, Feb 2014
- ASSETS 2013 Best Paper Award, Oct, 2013
- Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Award, April 2013
- HCIL Conference Travel Award, Feb 2013
- The International Conference Student Support Award, Jan 2013
- 2011-2012 Distinguished Teaching Assistant, May 2012
- Dean's Fellowship, 2010, 2011
- JASSO Longterm Fellowship for Study Abroad, 2010 (Declined)
- ASSETS Student Research Competition Chair 2018
- ASSETS Program Committee 2017-2019
- ASSETS Treasurer and Registration Chair 2019
- CHI Associate Chair 2018, 2019
- IMWUT Associate Editor 2019
- UbiComp Local Arrangement Chair 2018
- UIST Program Committee 2017
- Peer Reviewer ASSETS 2015-2019; CHI 2013-2019; CSCW 2014-2018; DIS 2018; MobileHCI 2015; TACCESS2016, 2019; UbiComp/IMWUT 2016-2018; UIST 2015, 2017-2019
The Atlantic, Jan 2018
The Internet Is Enabling a New Kind of Poorly Paid Hell
Curbed, Washington DC, Feb 2017
Make D.C.'s sidewalks more accessible with this crowd-sourced map
Technica.ly DC, Nov 2016
How Project Sidewalk is making DC more accessible
The Diamondback, Oct 2016
A UMD team made an app highlighting D.C. areas inaccessible to people with disabilities
Next City, Oct 2016
You Can Help Map the Accessibility of the World
Greater Greater Washington, Sept 2016
Missing sidewalks? There’s an app for that
Technica.ly Baltimore, Jul 2015
How this UMD researcher is using Google Street View to make the physical world more accessible
Engadget, Jan 2013
Google Street View Could Be the Best Road Crew Ever
NewScientist, Jan 2013
Crowds prowl Google Street View to speed road repairs
Singapore Management University
IS211 Interaction Design and Prototyping
Fall 2018 and Fall 2019
IS306 Interaction Design and Prototyping
University of Maryland, College Park
CMSC216 Introduction to Computer Systems
Fall 2012, Fall 2011
CMSC434 Introduction to HCI
Spring 2012, Spring 2011
CMSC131 Object Oriented Programming I
- Yudai Tanaka, Jan 2019 - Apr 2019, Visiting Undergraduate Student (The University of Tokyo).
- Jean Sin Min, Aug 2018 - Apr 2019, Undergraduate Student (Singapore Management University).
- Shun Ito, Aug 2018 - Dec 2018, Visiting Graduate Student (Kyoto University).
- Debjyoti Ghosh, Aug 2018 - Present, Graduate Student (National University fo Singapore, Co-mentoring with Prof. Shengdong Zhao).
- Hyeongcheol Kim, Aug 2018 - Present, Graduate Student (National University fo Singapore, Co-mentoring with Prof. Shengdong Zhao).
- Gihan Gamage, June 2018 - Dec 2018, Visiting Undergraduate Student (University of Moratuwa).
- Minsoo Khang, Summer 2018, Visiting Undergraduate Student (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology).
- Lucas Rosenblatt, Summer 2017, Undergraduate Student (Brown University).
- Daniil Zadorozhnyy, Summer 2016, Undergraduate Student.
- Anthony Li, Summer 2015, High School Intern.
- Niles Rogoff, Summer 2015, High School Intern.
- Christine Chan, Summer 2015, Undergraduate Student (University of Maryland).
- Alex Zhang, Fall 2014 to Winter 2015, undergraduate student.
- Zachary Lawrence, Fall 2013 to Winter 2015, undergraduate student.
- Jonah Chazan, Summer 2013, high school intern.
- Robert Moore, Fall 2012 to Fall 2013, undergraduate student.
- Sean Panella, Fall 2012 to Fall 2013, undergraduate student.
- Victoria Le, Spring 2012 to Spring 2013, former undergraduate student, now at AOL.
English and Japanese.